Advertising and Media Law
Advertising law is the law that applies to advertisements and that wants to protect consumers against unfair advertising as well as safeguard the free market and competition.
Advertising law is often about unfair trade practices and protection of intellectual property. In addition, there are many self-regulating initiatives for the advertising sector where guidelines have been issued for the use of advertising in a certain sector such as guidelines on native advertising, online influencers, advertising for food and alcohol, …
Sirius Legal has built up a long track record in advertising law and successfully assisted small, medium and large companies, including advertising agencies and online agencies, with legal advice in advertising campaigns, contractual negotiations, disputes inside or outside the court, advice and contacts with governments and bodies such as the JEP (Jury for Ethical Advertising Practices) and VRM (de Vlaamse Regulator voor de Media).
In addition, Sirius Legal is partner and member of the Belgian Association of Marketing (BAM) for which we provide publications and contributions and often act as guest speakers at their events.
You can contact us for:
- All legal questions regarding your advertising campaigns (trademark law, copyright, comparative advertising, privacy, product placement, sponsorship agreements, questions about social media, native advertising, etc …)
- Online and offline competitions and promotional campaigns throughout Europe, drafting or checking competition rules
- Questions about the creation and use of databases, privacy, database rights, opt-in, opt-out, scraping or crawling of data, the use of rented or purchased databases, etc.
- Protection of minors in advertising
- Specific regulations regarding advertising of medicines, alcohol and tobacco, etc.
- Right to honor and good name (defamation, defamation and honor, etc.)
- Portrait right or image right
Media law and entertainment
Media law includes the legal rules that apply to the establishment, organization and operation of various media channels (eg radio channel, TV channel, …) In addition, media law also relates to the freedom of communication that everyone enjoys, which often gives rise to conflicts of interest.
Our team of lawyers advises various companies active in the media sector on agreements and license contracts, protection of TV formats, applications for a license as a radio channel, … But also questions about the right to reply, freedom of press, image damage and right to be forgotten (“the right to be forgotten”) as well as questions on slander and defamation are very common in our practice.
We regularly assist production houses, radio stations, vloggers, journalists, (web) TV stations, actors, filmmakers and screenwriters.
Sirius Legal is a member of MediaNet Flanders, an organization that represents more than 60 companies within the media sector.
You can contact us:
- All types of contracts in the media and entertainment industry (production agreements, TV or movie-related agreement, license agreements, distribution agreements, copyright transfers, etc …)
- Matters concerning approvals and licenses for radio and television broadcasters
- Right to honor and good name (defamation, slander,…etc.)
- Right to reply
- False social media profiles
- Right to be forgotten and “removal requests” with Google and other internet companies;
- Procedures before the VRM and JEP
- Copyrights in the media and entertainment sector
Advertising agencies, agencies and advertisers often have legal questions about their campaign concepts and elaborations. They do not always have the appropriate legal know-how to find a quick and correct answer.
Specifically for these kind of questions, Sirius Legal developed the Campaign Checker: an online service that provides quick and pragmatic advice on unfair market practices (eg comparative advertising, degrading advertising, consumer confusion, etc.), copyright, trademark law, the use of AdWords, privacy related questions, etc.
Rules for competitions
Organizing a competition is often part of an advertising campaign. The preparation of such regulations requires the necessary attention given the specific legislation on gambling, privacy and also unfair trade practices. Besides, the purpose of organizing a competition is often to collect personal data.
We can draw up regulations for your competition in 2 languages (NL and ENG or NL and FR) for the fixed rate of 600 EUR (excl. VAT). For this amount you will receive fully customized competition rules and correct advice about the legislation on competitions , privacy legislation, and unfair trade practices. We make sure you can publish your competition with confidence.
Questions about media or advertising law? Our team is happy to assist you. Please contact us by filling out the form below.